If you are like most, the holidays mean special decorations and special gatherings. Here are a few tips that will help you keep celebrations the fun, safe and energy efficient:
1. Check lights for safety, making sure cords are free of frays. If you haven’t already, replace traditional strands with energy-efficient LED lights. Put lights on a timer or light sensor so you don’t have to remember to turn them on an off.
2. If you are decorating with live trees or trimmings, be sure to water daily and check for dryness. Keep candles at a safe distance, and have a fire extinguisher nearby just in case.
3. Double check that decorations aren’t interfering with security camera placement. Be sure decorations aren’t obstructing the view, or changing building usage patterns in a way that makes current placement ineffective, and make adjustments as necessary.
4. Will traffic in and out of your building will increase during the holidays, or will visitors be using different entrances or entering during different times of the day? Check those areas for trip and fall hazards, inadequate lighting or security issues.
5. Review emergency plans. Again, note and changes in building usage and adjust accordingly.
6. When planning holiday parties where alcohol will be served, be sure to provide taxi service so guests can be transported home safely.